Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)!
A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.
CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.
To apply for a CRBA in Ethiopia, your child must be under 18 years of age and must appear in person at the embassy. Generally, both parents must attend the interview. To see if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship at birth see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html and Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad. (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html)
How to Apply: Online Application and Payment
You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa! This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.
Register for an account at MyTravelGov.
Complete your eCRBA application. Scan and upload your documents as you go.
Pay the eCRBA Fee ($100) and schedule your appointment. Please allow at least 72 hours between submitting your payment and your selected appointment time.
Attend your in-person interview.
- To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgRyLQd3jA&t=4s) to learn more about creating your account.
- Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist.
- Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to request your appointment at U.S. Embassy, Addis Ababa.
- Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.
- You can access Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Here Customer Outreach eCRBA FAQs
- You can view an application how-to-guide here”: eCRBA Customer SOP
- For questions or concerns please contact: AddisACS@state.gov
Other Important Information
Passport applications must be completed and submitted separately – https://et.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/
Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details – https://et.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/