Required documents to apply for Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Form DS-2029 (PDF 107 KB): Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad needs to be completed and printed
-The name you list on form DS-2029 needs to match with the name on the local birth certificate
-Page 2 item 24 or 2J of DS-2029 needs to be complete/precisely
-If the U.S. citizen parent is not present, the U.S. citizen must have form DS-2029 signed in the presence of notary public. Only the original of form DS-2029 will be accepted.
- Form DS-11 (PDF 142 KB): Do not sign until requested to do so.
- Form DS-3053 (PDF 421 KB): (Statement of Consent for Issuing a Passport to a Child) If one of the parents is not physically present, the absent parent must complete form DS-3053 and have it signed in the presence of a notary public. Submit the original form with a copy of the ID that was presented to the notary public. A signed and notarized form DS-3053 is only valid for 90 days from the date it was signed.
- Passport photo for child: One 2-inch x 2-inch or 5 cm x 5 cm, taken within the last six months against a white background.
- Child’s Ethiopian birth Certificate: Issued by the Ethiopian Vital Events Registration Agency or Woreda. Only an original birth certificate will be accepted in addition to one photocopy.
- Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. U.S. passport and two photocopies of the biographical data page (the page with the photograph) and passport pages showing entry and exit stamps.
- Non-U.S. citizen parent passport/ identification: Bring passport or government issued photo identification, original and two photocopies. Include a translation of ID if the ID is written in any other language other than English.
- Marriage certificate: Original and copy.
- Divorce or death certificate: (If applicable)
- Evidence of parents’ relationship: including but not limited to, family photos, letters, emails, pre-natal care documents, ect.
- Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s):
Proof of FIVE years physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s) prior to the date that your child was born. A combination of documents such as, but not limited to, the following: rental leases; property deeds; automobile registrations; Insurance for a private business, professional licenses; vaccination or other medical records; property tax records; utility bills; employment records; official school transcripts; military records (to document physical presence while serving in the military); and birth certificates for U.S.-born children. Tax records are not proof of physical presence.
- Fees: To be paid in Cash, Credit or Debit card. We do NOT accept personal checks.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad – $100 or equivalent in Birr
- Passport for applicant under 16 yrs. – $135 or equivalent in Birr
- IMPORTANT: If the documents are incomplete, inaccurate, or otherwise insufficient, you will be required to schedule another appointment.
Note: ALL ITEMS ISSUED IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE MUST BE TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH. FOREIGN LANGUAGE DOCUMENTS WITHOUT AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. EXAMPLES INCLUDE BIRTH CERTIFICATES, MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES AND IDENTIFICATION CARDS.