We advise that both parents should be present at the appointment. However, we recognize that it may not be possible in all cases.
If one custodial parent is not able to attend, s/he must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 (PDF 83 KB) Statement of Consent. At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must also be provided.
Alternatively, the applying parent may furnish one of the following documents:
- Complete court order granting the applying parent sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
- Complete court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport (photocopy is acceptable)
- Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing the applying parent as the only parent
- Certified copy of an adoption decree listing the applying parent as the only parent
- Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
- Certified copy of the death certificate of the deceased parent