Eligibility for a CRBA

Most, but not all, children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a CRBA and U.S. passport. The parents, however, have the burden of proof of establishing that the child is eligible for a CRBA and U.S. passport, and we encourage applicants to read and follow these instructions carefully.