The U.S. Embassy is aware of reports of violent protests and road closures in the areas of the region of Oromia near Ambo, Bako, and Holeta, west of Addis Ababa.
U.S. Embassy personnel are permitted to travel to these areas on a case by case basis only. If you are currently in Ambo, Bako, Holeta, or their surrounding areas, please use extra caution.
As always, review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Ethiopia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, located at Entoto Street, P.O. Box 1014, at +251-111-306-000 or e-mail at Addisacs@state.gov, Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.