The U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa informs U.S. citizens of reports of a series of grenade explosions in the city of Gondar in recent weeks:
- On April 1, a grenade exploded at the Florida International Hotel.
- On April 18, a grenade exploded in the Kebele 18 neighborhood.
- On April 20, a grenade was thrown into a private residential compound.
- On April 24, a grenade exploded at the Lodge du Chateau.
Injuries have been reported in some of these cases. The Embassy is closely monitoring travel for U.S. Chief of Mission employees to Gondar and is approving official travel on a case by case basis. The Embassy recommends U.S. citizens carefully consider whether travel to Gondar is necessary at this time. All U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Gondar should be aware of their surroundings at all times and re-assess their personal safety plans in light of these events.
The current Travel Warning for Ethiopia can be found here.
U.S. citizens traveling to or in Ethiopia should review their personal security plans; remain aware of their surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions from local authorities.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Ethiopia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa, located at Entoto Street, P.O. Box 1014, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at +251-11-130-6000 Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. For after-hours emergencies, U.S. citizens should call +251-11-130-6911 or 011-130-6000 and ask to speak with the duty officer.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.