As a result of the death of a tourist by unidentified gunmen while hiking on the Erta Ale Volcano in Afar region, the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa has restricted travel to Erta Ale Volcano for Embassy personnel effective immediately. The Embassy recommends U.S. citizens reconsider travel plans to Erta Ale.
All U.S. citizens are reminded that the security environment in Ethiopia is fluid and can deteriorate without warning.
U.S. citizens should employ sound security practices. U.S. citizens should also remain aware of their surroundings, including local events; avoid large gatherings and demonstrations; monitor local news stations; and follow the instructions of local authorities
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Ethiopia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa, located at Entoto Street, P.O. Box 1014, at +251-111-306-000 or e-mail at Addisacs@state.gov, Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.