Event: Following this afternoon’s resignation of Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, Embassy Addis Ababa is closely monitoring Ethiopia’s reaction. While we are not currently aware of any impact on the security environment, this significant political development may lead to unpredictable security issues.
At this time, all travel for embassy personnel outside of Addis Ababa must have advance Embassy approval.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, and follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Employ sound security practices.
- Remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Remember that the security environment in Ethiopia is fluid and can deteriorate without warning.
- S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444