Location: Oromia Region
Event: The “stay at home” strike has largely ended; however, the impact of the strike continues to affects many parts of Oromia region. Public transportation in Oromia has not fully resumed normal operations; expect delays and limited service. There are reports of protests in the cities of Jimma and Awaday. There are also reports of road blocks along the border between Addis Ababa and Oromia.
Actions to Take:
- Postpone travel to these regions until the strike concludes.
- If you are currently in an area affected by the strike, you should shelter in place.
- Employ sound security practices.
- Remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations; monitor local news stations; and follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Remember that the security environment in Ethiopia is fluid and can deteriorate without warning.
- S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook