Location: Amhara Region
Event: Due to conflict and civil unrest, the Amhara Region is currently off-limits for U.S. government personnel, with limited exceptions to support humanitarian capacity and priority diplomatic engagement efforts.
The State Department’s Travel Advisory for Ethiopia currently advises U.S. citizens to “Reconsider Travel” to Ethiopia and identifies several “Do Not Travel” areas, including the Tigray, Amhara, Gambella and Benishangul Gumuz regions, specific areas in the Oromia, Southern Nations and National People (SNNP) and Afar regions, and Ethiopia’s border areas with Eritrea, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Kenya.
The U.S. Embassy provides routine and emergency consular services however, consular assistance outside of the Addis Ababa metropolitan area is limited.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and to ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile and limit movements.
- Cooperate with security officials.
- Monitor government announcements and local media.
U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs: +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
The Department of State has no higher priority than the safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas. We encourage U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates and to ensure you can be located in an emergency.