Event: Continued Threat of Terrorist Attacks in Ethiopia
The Department reminds U.S. citizens of the ongoing possibility of terrorist attacks in Ethiopia. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting diplomatic facilities, tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, western businesses, restaurants, resorts, local government facilities and other public areas. U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance and avoid areas frequented by foreigners.
The Department of State has no higher priority than the safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas. U.S. citizens still in country should enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and to ensure you can be located in an emergency.
U.S. citizens are advised to:
- Avoid crowds.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be vigilant around Government of Ethiopia buildings/offices, as well as in common gathering places and markets.
- Do not take photos of government buildings, police or other Ethiopian security officials.
- Carry a valid form of identification and copy of your passport and visa.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- If you are stopped by security forces, stay calm and follow instructions.
- Keep your family or colleagues informed of your whereabouts and itinerary.