Location: Addis Ababa
Event: The African Union Summit is taking place February 7-11, 2019. With the planned events and arrivals of Heads of State attending these events, please anticipate traffic congestion, road closures, and lane restrictions for VIP convoys. Expect police checkpoints for both vehicle and pedestrian traffic on routes around or near the AU and hotels where VIPs are staying.
The Addis Ababa Police Commission announced the following roads will be blocked for the Summit. Parking will not be allowed on either side of these roads. Embassy personnel are advised to avoid the areas/routes below:
- The route between Parliament and Bole International Airport via Meskel Square.
- Roads leading from Parliament to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Mexico Square, and all areas surrounding the African Union.
- Roads from Parliament to the Sheraton Hotel, the Ambassador Theatre and Ministry of Defense. The roads will be blocked for VIP motorcades and parking will not be allowed in these areas.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for breaking events.
- Avoid large crowds and demonstrations
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates