Location: Addis Ababa
Event: The U.S. Embassy is monitoring reports of protest and unrest throughout Addis Ababa, with police deployed in response. These incidents may continue through the weekend with little or no warning. Expect an increased police presence and be prepared for road closures.
U.S. Government personnel are advised to avoid non-essential road movements in Addis Ababa on Saturday, September 15, 2018, especially on Bole and Meskel Square Roads, and to limit movement in Addis Ababa until the end of the weekend.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for breaking events
- Avoid large crowds and demonstrations
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- +251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates