Event: The Government of Ethiopia has lifted the State of Emergency that was imposed on February 16, 2018. Visitors should remain vigilant when traveling in Ethiopia due to the potential for unexpected incidents of civil unrest and communications disruptions.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Carry a copy of your passport and visa and leave originals in your hotel safe.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook