Location: Addis Ababa
Event: The U.S. Embassy is monitoring reports of protests and unrest, including gunfire, throughout Addis Ababa following the June 29 shooting death of singer Haacaaluu Hundeessa. Police have been deployed around the city in response to reports of violence but the situation is volatile at this time.
This morning’s protests included one outside the U.S. Embassy. Though the crowd has dispersed, it is possible that such protests will recur. Please stay away from the Embassy.
U.S. Government personnel are advised to remain in their homes until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for breaking events
- Avoid large crowds and demonstrations
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook