The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa is pleased to announce that we will resume limited routine processing of American citizen services later this month. Initially, we will only take appointments for passport renewals (adults and children). Please monitor our U.S. Citizen Services page – https://et.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/. On Friday November 4, we will open a limited number of appointments for Monday and Wednesday mornings so you can schedule your own appointment.
PLEASE NOTE, that services will only be provided to those who comply with our COVID-19 restrictions set forth below. The failure to comply will result in a denial of service:
- Please complete the renewal application (DS 11 if renewing minor (5 years) passport or replace lost/stolen passport or DS-82 to renew 10 year passport) before you arrive;
- Bring a passport photo that complies with State Department requirements (see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/forms.html);
- Bring a REGISTERED EMS mailing envelope to receive your passport by mail (you can purchase this at the Passport Delivery Section (Room 01- the room it known as “Ethiopian passport delivery room) at Main Post Office by Black Lion Hospital);
- Bring the appropriate passport renewal fee in cash (Ethiopian birr or U.S. dollars) or credit card (see https://et.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/188/US-Passport-Fee.pdf) (PDF 270 KB)
- Do not arrive more than 15 minutes before your appointment, in order to limit contact between visitors to the Consular Section;
- Wear a face covering. We require every person over age 2 to wear a face covering over the mouth and nose. We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone not wearing a proper face covering. Please be considerate and help protect others.
- Again, failure to comply with any of the above will lead to a refusal of service and you will have to re-schedule.
We hope to expand our services to include applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and notarials in the near future. Please watch our website for future announcements.
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa
Entoto Street, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook