EVENT: Keep Yourself Informed About COVID-19
The U.S. Embassy will continue to send messages daily as new information is released regarding COVID-19 that impacts travel and safety. If you have not already done so, please register with the Embassy at https://step.state.gov/step/to receive messages and alerts for Ethiopia.
On March 30, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) and the Prime Minister announced the number of confirmed cases in Ethiopia had risen to 23. You can get up-to-date on information regarding Ethiopia’s efforts to combat COVID-19 at www.ephi.gov.et.
Ethiopian Airlines is the only airline currently flying to the United States from Addis Ababa, with still-daily flights to Washington. D.C. Ethiopian Airlines maintains information on its routes and its efforts to control the spread of the COVID-19 at https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/travel-updates/covid-19
As a reminder, Ethiopia’s health care system may not be of the same standard as U.S. health care (see Health Information for Ethiopia at travel.state.gov), and the availability of flights to the U.S. is decreasing. If your flight to the U.S. is cancelled, the Embassy is unable to assist you in booking or re-booking your flight. We do encourage you to explore all options and all possible routes to get tothe United States, even if that means not arriving at your preferred airport.
As always, please monitor the Embassy’s website, including the “Alerts and Messages” and COVID-19 pages at https://et.usembassy.gov/.
For questions relating to American Citizen Services, please email us at AddisACS@state.gov. We are closely monitoring this email to assist Americans who wish to return to the United States promptly.
American citizens with questions about visas should email AddisIV@state.gov (immigrant visas) or AddisNIV@state.gov (non-immigrant/tourist visas). As reminder, however, the Consular Section is closed for routine services until further notice due to COVID-19 concerns.
Actions to Take:
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ethiopia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- See the Ethiopian Public Health Institute website for links to up-to-date press releases and their Twitter
- Find information about healthcare in Ethiopia on the country information page for Ethiopia (Health Care in Ethiopia).
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook