Location: East Asia and worldwide
Event: Coronavirus Outbreak in China
There is an ongoing outbreak of pneumonia first identified in Wuhan, China, caused by a novel (new) coronavirus. Cases of the virus have been confirmed in many countries. The United States announced its first infection with the coronavirus was detected in a traveler returning from Wuhan on January 21, 2020.
Suspension and Limitation on Entry into the United States
Please see the Presidential Proclamation for details on the suspension and limitation of entry for some non-U.S. citizen travelers into the United States.
CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information about this outbreak.
- Check with the airlines regarding any flight cancellation and/or restrictions on flying.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Seek medical care right way if you traveled to Wuhan and feel sick or were exposed to someone who was in Wuhan in the last six week and has fever, cough or difficulty breathing.
For further information:
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook