EVENT: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide.
Ethiopian officials have announced a confirmed case of COVID-19. Individuals suspected of having COVID-19 may face travel delays, quarantine, and high medical costs
The Government of Ethiopia has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
Ethiopian officials are actively screening at Bole International Airport. Patients with suspected cases of COVID-19 have been isolated at the Bole Chefa Health Center pending COVID-19 test results. Eko Kotebe Hospital is the only hospital that is prepared to accept suspected cases of COVID-19. No other hospitals in Addis will accept a suspected COVID-19 case.
Actions to Take:
- See the Ethiopian Public Health Institute website for links to up-to-date press releases and their Twitter
- Find information about healthcare in Ethiopia on the country information page for Ethiopia (Health Care in Ethiopia).
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ethiopia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook