Event: COVID-19 Rates Spiking; Hospital Beds for COVID Patients Full
Community transmission of the coronavirus in Ethiopia is widespread and accelerating rapidly. Public and private hospitals in Addis Ababa are reporting that their COVID bedspace is full. Life-saving oxygen and medical supplies are difficult to secure. Through March 20, 2021, there have been 185,641 reported cases and 2,647 deaths resulting from COVID-19 in Ethiopia. The 14-day trends of new cases and percent positivity are both increasing drastically. An increase in new cases of 66% percent and an increase in the percent positive by 43% percent were observed over this two-week period.
The U.S. Embassy is unable to secure a bed or other medical care for American citizens at private or public hospitals, nor can it provide medical care for private citizens. If you must travel to Ethiopia at this time, you should have travel insurance that includes coverage for an air ambulance evacuation in the event you have symptomatic COVID-19. You cannot travel on a commercial airline out of Ethiopia if you are acutely ill with COVID-19. If you are already in Ethiopia, maintain strict COVID mitigation measures, such as frequent hand washing, social distancing in public, avoiding large crowds of any kind, and mask wearing in public places.
Actions to Take:
- Consult theCDC websitefor the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- Visit ourEmbassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Ethiopia.
- Visit theCOVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart from Ethiopia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit theDepartment of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates