Eligibility requirements

To renew an adult U.S. Passport by mail you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • You are able to submit your most recent U.S. Passport book;
  • You were 16 years old or older when your most recent U.S. Passport book was issued;
  • You hold a 10-year validity U.S. Passport which was issued within the past 15 years;
  • Your U.S. Passport has not been limited from the normal 10-year validity period due to damage, mutilation or multiple thefts or losses; and
  • You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage, divorce or court order for which you can submit official documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order) to support the name change.

If you do not meet these eligibility requirements, you cannot renew by mail. Please see “Apply for a Passport” for instructions on how to make an appointment and submit a DS-11 passport application at the Embassy.

You can renew your U.S. Passport card at the same time that you renew your U.S. Passport book.

Instructions for DS-82 processing by mail:

1. Complete Form DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals

Please note:

  • The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input.
  • Note that some fields require U.S. addresses or phone numbers; you can leave these blank and fill them out in pen after the form has been printed.
  • You must provide a Social Security number if you have one.
  • If you are renewing both your U.S. Passport book and your U.S. Passport card, be sure to select “both” in the top field of the DS-82 application.
  • You must complete all pages of the form and sign and date it. The signature and date must be completed by pen. The form filler will not allow you to affix an e-signature.  Print and then sign and date the application in ink.
  • You must print your form single-sided. We do not accept double-sided forms.

Please note all passport applications must be generated using the online form filler:  https://pptform.state.gov/PassportWizardMain.aspx

2. Submit Your Most Recent U.S. Passport and a Photocopy of the Passport Biographic Page

Please note:

  • Your U.S. Passport book must meet all the requirements listed at the top of this page.
  • Your old U.S. Passport book will be returned to you.

3. Include Name Change Documents (if applicable)

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. Passport, you must provide the original or a certified copy of the legal name change document, and one photocopy. All documents must be in English or translated into English if necessary.

Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

Your original name change document will be returned to you. Please also submit a photocopy of your name change document to be kept with the application.

4. Provide a Photo
Provide one recent passport-size photograph. Be sure your photo meets all the photo size and format requirements

Please note:

  • Do not bend the photo
  • Do not wear eyeglasses in your passport photo (unless you have a signed note from your doctor that you can include with your application).

5. Make the payment

There are now two ways for adult U.S. citizens to pay for and renew their U.S. passport by mail:

  1. Pay.gov: Submit a payment online at Pay.gov and then mail the passport application form DS-82 and the payment confirmation to the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa.  Applicants who wish to pay for their passport renewal online should visit: Pay.gov – DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Application Fee Payment Form   for more information.  If eligible, applicants can submit payment via a U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal.
  2. Bank of Abyssinia: Purchase a Cashier Payment Order (CPO) from the Bank of Abyssinia and then mail the passport application form DS-82 and the CPO to the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa.  Applicants who wish to pay for their passport renewal with a CPO from the Bank of Abyssinia should visit the Embassy website here for detailed instructions.

Passport card fee: If you are also applying for a passport card, you must use the CPO payment option. Please make sure to add the fee of $30 to the CPO. Please, note that the passport book and passport card may not arrive at the same time. Therefore, please, expect a delay in delivery if you are applying for both a passport book and passport card.

Applications with an incorrect payment will be returned. To avoid a delay in processing your application, confirm that you have either the payment confirmation from Pay.gov or a CPO from the Bank of Abyssinia with the correct payment amount before mailing your application. 

Mail-In Instructions:

  • Applicants must use Express Mailing Service (EMS) to mail in the passport application. No other commercial couriers or forms of postage will be accepted.
  • Purchase a pre-paid trackable EMS envelope from an EMS office. You must provide a postage-paid envelope from EMS. We will use it to return your new and old passports.

EMS office address:
Main Post Office
Ministry of Communications Bld., Nigeria St,
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

EMS office numbers:
+251 115152072 or +251 115 155132.

  • Send complete application packets to:

U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa
Attn: ACS Unit
P.O. Box 1014
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

What is the processing time?
Once we have received your completed passport application package, the processing time is 2-3 weeks.

*Make sure your mail-in packet includes ALL of these items:
(1) completed DS-82 form, signed and dated by pen;
(2) your current passport book (make a photocopy of the biographical page of your current passport for your own records before mailing your application packet);
(3) a photocopy of your passport bio page;
(4) a passport photo that meets the size and format requirements;
(5) a payment confirmation page from Pay.gov or an original CPO from the Bank of Abyssinia;
(6) a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope for us to return your documents in; and
(7) if applicable, your proof of name change AND a photocopy.