Last updated: 06/15/2022
*** As of 12:01 a.m. EDT June 12, 2022, the CDC order requiring all persons aged two and above to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States, is rescinded. Starting at 12:01 a.m. EDT on June 12, 2022, the CDC will no longer order air passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result, or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19, prior to boarding a flight to the United States. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- As of June 14, 2022, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute announced that there was a total of 966 recent active COVID-19 cases; 0 deaths in Ethiopia with 194 recent recoveries.
- During waves of COVID transmission, hospitals beds and life-saving supplies, such as oxygen are unlikely to be unavailable. Hospital capacity changes rapidly and unpredictably. COVID treatments routinely available in the United States, such as monoclonal antibodies and high-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy, are not readily available in Ethiopia.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Ethiopia? Yes
- The following entities provide testing services. Please contact companies directly for information on the type of test, updated cost information, and turnaround time.
- Wudassie Diagnostic Center
- Phone: +251-11-157-0404/0505
Locations: Churchill Road, Tewodros Square, MK Building
Testing provided at the center or at home; group testing available
Hours: Call to schedule appointment
Timing of test results: Results in 4-6 hours sent to an email
Cost: 1,250 Birr
- Phone: +251-11-157-0404/0505
- Washington Medical Center
Phone: +251 93 951 5151
Online reservation: https://coronavirus.wmcethiopia.com/
– Washington Medical Center (24hrs)
– Home visitation (make appointment)
– Millennium Hall Gate #1 (Drive Thru)
– Sheraton Addis Hotel (inside)
– Hilton Addis Hotel (inside)
– Ghion Hotel (inside)
– Bole Bulbula, Maryam Mazorya
Hours: 24 hrs/day at the WMC, or 7am to 7pm daily all other locations
Timing of test results: Regular 12hrs, Express 6hrs
Cost: Regular 2,500 Birr, Express 4,000 Birr
- American Medical Center
Phone: +251 11 667 8007/4
Online reservation: http://www.amcethiopia.com/about/appointments/#
Medical Center – inside Sunshine Real Estate Compound, Meri Luke
Hours: Call to schedule appointment
Timing of test results: 24hrs
Cost: 1,650 Birr
- Precision Clinical Laboratory (PCL)
Phone: +251 94 374 7474
Online reservation: https://www.pcladdis.com/covid-19-testing/bookcovidtest
– Medical Center
– Edna Mall
– Medhanialem Mall by Daamat Hotel
Hours: 24 hrs/day, no appointment necessary
Timing of test results: Regular 24hrs, Express 6hrs
Cost: Regular 750 Birr, Express 1,400 Birr
- ICL Laboratories
Phone: +251 11 467 1818
Online reservation: https://www.icladdis.com/index.php/our-services/covid- testing#covid-sample-collection-centers-contact-in-addis
Locations: Multiple locations, check the link above; Main Branch express testing
Hours: 24 hrs/day at the Main branch, other 6 locations vary
Timing of test results: Regular 24hrs, Express 10-14hrs
Cost: Regular 670 Birr, Express 890 Birr
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
Has the government of Ethiopia approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Ethiopia for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Ethiopia? Covishield from Serum Institute of India (same vaccine as AstraZeneca from Oxford University) and Pfizer.
- The GOE launched the 3rd National COVID-19 vaccination drive across Ethiopia on June 9, The start date in regions and city administrations will vary and are dependent on local planning and conditions. The GOE has 35 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines available including AstraZeneca, J&J, Sino Pharm, and Pfizer for vaccination of adults aged 18 years and over including US citizens resident in Ethiopia. Pfizer is also available for adolescents aged 12-17 years old. Booster doses are also available to those who have received their initial vaccination at least 6 months prior to completion of the primary series. COVID-19 vaccinations are free and offered at various locations including local health facilities, health posts, and through outreach. Please contact your local health authority for additional information.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? A COVID-19 test is no longer required for people who can prove they have received at least 2 doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccination or 1 dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccination, or for those travelers who have proof of recovery from COVID-19 within the previous 90 days. Please check the government airline website for the most up to date information: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/travel-updates/updates-on-covid-19(coronavirus)
|12 and under, regardless of vaccination status||13 and older who are vaccinated or less than 90 days recovered||Unvaccinated||Diplomats who do not present evidence of vaccination or test results||Transit passengers not leaving the airport or airline hotel|
|Is a COVID test required?||No||No||Yes||No, but you will be tested at the airport upon entry||No|
|What kind of COVID test is required?||Not applicable||Not applicable||· Negative PCR done up to 72 hours or 3 days before departure
· Negative antigen up to 24 hours before arriving
|Not applicable||Not applicable|
|Is quarantine required after entering Ethiopia?||No||No||No||Yes, 7 days||Not applicable|
- The Government of Ethiopia defines “full vaccination” as two weeks after taking of the single dose of Johnson & Johnson or two doses of Astra Zeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac, Moderna, and Pfizer.
- The Government of Ethiopia notes that “Recovery refers to declaration of an individual free from COVID-19 which is decided according to the health professional on time-based, system-based and test-based criterions. If a patient is asymptomatic, s/he will be declared recovered seven days after the day of sample collection for RT PCR test which turned positive or the day of positive Antigen RDT test. Is a patient is symptomatic, s/he will be declared recovered after a minimum of seven days from the date the symptoms started and an additional three days without symptoms.”
- As always, be sure to double check with the relevant authorities before planning travel as guidance may change.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- See the Ethiopian Immigration website for the most up-to-date information on visa extensions.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Masks continue to be required on public transit. Transit companies must follow other precautionary measures such as keeping windows open.
Fines for Non-Compliance (if applicable)
- Local public health rules do not specify the punishment for not abiding by local COVID regulations. However, penalties for violations of the rules in the past have ranged from 1,000 to 200,000 Ethiopian birr and three years in jail.
The American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa is only able to provide limited appointments for American citizen services. To schedule your appointment and review the requirements to renew, please see our U.S. Citizen Services page: https://et.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/. Please do not take a passport renewal appointment for a different service, such as a notarial or first-time passport for a child. We are not able to provide other services for those with an appointment for a passport renewal.
For U.S. citizens who wish to schedule an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please visit our website at https://et.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/scheduling-appointment/.
PLEASE NOTE, services will only be provided to those who comply with our COVID-19 restrictions set forth below. The failure to comply will result in a denial of service:
- Please complete the renewal application (DS-11 if renewing a minor’s 5-year passport or replace lost/stolen passport or DS-82 to renew an adult’s 10-year passport) before you arrive.
- Bring a passport photo that complies with State Department requirements (see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/forms.html).
- Bring the appropriate passport renewal fee in cash (Ethiopian birr or U.S. dollars) or credit card (see https://et.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/188/US-Passport-Fee.pdf).
- Do not arrive more than 15 minutes before or after your appointment, in order to limit contact between visitors to the Consular Section.
- Wear a face covering. We require every person over age 2 to wear a face covering over the mouth and nose. We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone not wearing a proper face covering. Please be considerate and help protect others.
Please see our website for future announcements on provision of services.
- The U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa is only able to provide limited immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will continue to provide emergency and mission-critical visa services as resources and local conditions allow. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.
- Please see these notices which contain detailed information about the current status of visa services worldwide and visa restrictions related to the COVID-19 global pandemic: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html
- Federal Ministry of Health: http://www.moh.gov.et/
- Ethiopian Public Health Institute: https://www.ephi.gov.et/
- Ethiopian Airlines COVID-19 Page: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/travel-updates/updates-on-covid-19(coronavirus)