Last updated: December 29, 2021
*** Effective December 6, 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- As of December 28, 2021, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute announced that there was a total of 405,745 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ethiopia with 353,787 recoveries and 5,185 newly confirmed cases.
- During waves of COVID transmission, hospitals beds and life-saving supplies such as oxygen are unlikely to be unavailable. Hospital capacity changes rapidly and unpredictably. COVID treatments routinely available in the United States, such as monoclonal antibodies and high-flow nasal cannula oxygen therapy, are not readily available in Ethiopia.
- Are either PCR or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Ethiopia? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes. Note: each company has advertised turnaround times. We cannot guaranteed turnaround times.
- The following entities provide testing. Please contact companies directly for information on the type of test, updated cost information and turnaround time.
- Wudassie Diagnostic Center
Churchill Road, Tewodros Square, MK Building
Testing provided at the center or at home; group testing available
Cost: 1,250 Birr – Results in 4-6 hours sent to an email
- Washington Medical Center
Phone: +251 93 951 5151
Online reservation: https://coronavirus.wmcethiopia.com/
Washington Medical Center (24hrs)
Home visitation (make appointment)
Millennium Hall Gate #1 (Drive Thru)
Sheraton Addis Hotel inside
Hilton Addis Hotel inside
Ghion Hotel inside
Bole Bulbula, Maryam Mazorya
Hours: 24 hrs/day at the WMC, or 7am to 7pm daily all other locations
Timing of test results: Regular 12hrs, Express 6hrs
Cost: Regular 2,500 Birr, Express 4,000 Birr
- American Medical Center
Phone: +251 11 667 8007/4
Online reservation: http://www.amcethiopia.com/about/appointments/#
Medical Center – inside Sunshine Real Estate Compound, Meri Luke
Hours: Call to schedule appointment
Timing of test results: Regular 24hrs
Cost: Regular 1,650 Birr
- Precision Clinical Laboratory (PCL)
Phone: +251 94 374 7474
Online reservation: https://www.pcladdis.com/covid-19-testing/bookcovidtest
Medhanialem Mall by Daamat Hotel
Hours: 24 hrs/day, no appointment necessary
Timing of test results: Regular 24hrs, Express 6hrs
Cost: Regular 750 Birr, Express 1,400 Birr
- ICL Laboratories
Phone: +251 11 467 1818
Online reservation: https://www.icladdis.com/index.php/our-services/covid- testing#covid-sample-collection-centers-contact-in-addis
Locations: Multiple locations, check the link above; Main Branch express testing
Hours: 24 hrs/day at the Main branch, other 6 locations vary
Timing of test results: Regular 24hrs, Express 10-14hrs
Cost: Regular 670 Birr, Express 890 Birr
- Wudassie Diagnostic Center
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Ethiopia approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Ethiopia for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Ethiopia? Covishield from Serum Institute of India (same vaccine as AstraZeneca from Oxford University)
- See http://www.moh.gov.et/am/COVAX for more information. Vaccines are currently only available to priority groups, starting with front-line healthcare workers. Healthcare workers should register themselves with the local woreda or zonal level public health system.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
- All incoming travelers to Bole International Airport (BIA) are required to present a negative RT-PCR test that must be conducted within 120 hours/5 days before arrival. The test result certificate must be dated.
- On June 2, 2021, the Ministry of Health issued an updated “Travel Advisory” stating that beginning June 7, 2021 all travelers entering, exiting or transiting through Ethiopia must present a digital negative RT PCR test from an approved lab. This is part of the African Union’s Trusted Travel (TT) Initiative: https://africacdc.org/trusted-travel/ .
- Ethiopian Airlines announced on November 10, 2021 that, effective November 15, 2021, passengers arriving and departing to and from Ethiopia are recommended to use the PanaBIOS electronic system to verify their negative COVID-19 certificate in line with the Africa CDC Trusted Travel electronic verification rules and guidelines available.
- If the traveler uses an authorized TT-compliant laboratory in the country of departure for a COVID-19 PCR test, a the traveler must obtain the TT code from this laboratory
- If the traveler is entering from a country that is not part of the Trusted Travel Initiative (non-TT test result/certificates), the traveler should upload their negative COVID-19 test result to https://panabios.org (account creation required). A Travel Code will then be generated for travel. Technical concerns may be directed to the dedicated support teams reachable via email@example.com.
- In Ethiopia, all authorized RT PCR COVID-19 testing facilities have been registered on the African Union TT system.
- Children 10 and under are exempt from the COVID test requirement. A Ministry of Health directive issued August 31, 2021 and the Ethiopian Airlines website both state that children 10 and under are exempt.
- See quarantine information below.
- As always, be sure to double check with the relevant authorities before planning travel as guidance may change.
- The use of the PanaBIOS system is a recent initiative from the Government of Ethiopia, and full implementation details are not yet known. More information will be provided when available.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- See the Ethiopian Immigration website for the most up-to-date information on visa extensions.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- According to the August 31, 2021 directive from the Government of Ethiopia, any international traveler above the age of 10, except travelers in transit, coming through international airports in Ethiopia shall have a negative RT PCR test done up to 120 hours or 5 days before arriving in Ethiopia. A traveler who has a certificate of recovery from COVID-19 within 90 days or who has completed the COVID-19 vaccination in full and provides evidence is not required to quarantine.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- The August 31, 2021 Ministry of Health directive states that masks are required on public transit. Transit companies must follow other precautionary measures such as keeping windows open and limiting capacity per local laws.
Fines for Non-Compliance (if applicable)
- All persons over age 6 who do not have respiratory or related medical conditions should wear a mask at all times outside of their residence and maintain physical distancing, per the August 31, 2021 Ministry of Health directive. Gatherings must be limited to 50 people or less.
- Local public health rules do not specify the punishment for not wearing a mask or exceeding limits on gatherings. However, penalties for violations of the rules potentially range from 1,000 to 200,000 Ethiopian birr and three years in jail.
American Citizen Services
The American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa has resumed processing of American citizen services. We are currently processing passport renewals for adults and children but are only processing emergency passports valid for 12 months. To schedule your appointment and review the requirements to renew, please see our U.S. Citizen Services page: https://et.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/. Please do not take a passport renewal appointment for a different service, such as a notarial or first-time passport for a child. We are not able to provide other services for those with an appointment for a passport renewal.
For U.S. citizens who wish to schedule an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please visit our website at https://et.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/scheduling-appointment/ .
PLEASE NOTE, services will only be provided to those who comply with our COVID-19 restrictions set forth below. The failure to comply will result in a denial of service:
- Please complete the renewal application (DS-11 if renewing a minor’s 5-year passport or replace lost/stolen passport or DS-82 to renew an adult’s 10-year passport) before you arrive.
- Bring a passport photo that complies with State Department requirements (see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/forms.html).
- Bring the appropriate passport renewal fee in cash (Ethiopian birr or U.S. dollars) or credit card (see https://et.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/188/US-Passport-Fee.pdf).
- Do not arrive more than 15 minutes before or after your appointment, in order to limit contact between visitors to the Consular Section.
- Wear a face covering. We require every person over age 2 to wear a face covering over the mouth and nose. We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone not wearing a proper face covering. Please be considerate and help protect others.
Please see our website for future announcements on provision of services.
- Visa Services
- The U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa is only able to provide limited immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will continue to provide emergency and mission-critical visa services as resources and local conditions allow. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.
- Please see these notices which contain detailed information about the current status of visa services worldwide and visa restrictions related to the COVID-19 global pandemic: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html
- Federal Ministry of Health: http://www.moh.gov.et/
- Ethiopian Public Health Institute: https://www.ephi.gov.et/
- Ethiopian Airlines COVID-19 Page: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/travel-updates/updates-on-covid-19(coronavirus)