May 24, 2020
Ask a COVID-19 Question
On May 24, Ethiopian Public Health Institute announced the presence of 582 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ethiopia.
- Update on COVID-19 in Ethiopia from the Ethiopian Ministry of Health (May 24, 2020)
- Fact Sheet – The U.S. Response to COVID-19
- Archive of Updates on COVID-19 in Ethiopia from the Ethiopian Ministry of Health and Press Releases from the Office of the Prime Minister
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- The Office of the Prime Minister has announced that all land border crossings will be closed except for “essential goods” as of March 23.
- Air passengers from international destinations are being asked to complete a health declaration form.
- Air passengers do not need specific documentation related to COVID-19 in order to enter/exit Ethiopia, but should be prepared to show proof of immunization for yellow fever.
- All air passengers arriving in Ethiopia through Bole International Airport will be subjected to COVID-19 screening, which will include questions about recent travel and the taking of their temperature. Individuals from certain countries could be subject to extra screening procedures.
- All air passengers arriving in Ethiopia as their destination will be subject to a 14-day quarantine period at a designated hotel or quarantine center at their own expense.
- All air passengers planning to transit through Addis Ababa must have onward tickets in hand upon arrival at Bole International Airport or they risk being placed in extended quarantine in a designated hotel at their own expense.
- Transit passengers are also strongly advised to have their onward ticket be for a same-day connecting flight. Bole International Airport authorities are not allowing passengers to stay overnight in the airport. Transit passengers who do not have same-day connecting flights will be required to spend the night in a designated hotel at their own expense.
- All air passengers who have been to Hubei province in the last 14 days will be taken to a dedicated quarantine center and put under strict health observation for 14 days.
Additional epidemiological notes:
- Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI Website: https://www.ephi.gov.et/)
- Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health (EFMOH Website: http://www.moh.gov.et/ejcc/en)
Airline Travel Information:
- Ethiopian Airlines COVID-19 Updates (EA Website: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/travel-updates/covid-19)
Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page