Event: Addis Ababa has normal voice and data services, although some social media sites remain blocked. Voice, SMS, and DSL services are generally available throughout the country, but not cellular data services.
Because of the telecommunications limitations and the Embassy’s travel restrictions, our ability to support U.S. citizens is limited, especially outside of Addis Ababa.
Please reconsider travel to Ethiopia’s Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People’s Region (SNNPR) due to civil unrest. Refer to travel.state.gov for current Ethiopia travel restrictions.
Actions to Take:
- Employ sound security practices.
- Remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations; monitor local news stations; and follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Remember that the security environment in Ethiopia is fluid and can deteriorate without warning.
For further information:
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook