Location: Jijiga, Ethiopia and the general Somali Region
Event: While media are reporting that the situation on the ground appears to be improving, there are still reports of sporadic incidents of violence in Jijiga, Dire Dawa and other areas in the Somali region. The airport in Jijiga reportedly remains closed to regularly scheduled commercial flights. If/When commercial flights resume, those in the region who seek to leave may wish to purchase seats on commercial flights from Jijiga. Otherwise, our advice remains to continue to monitor local media for the latest updated information and shelter in place.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for breaking events.
- Avoid large crowds and demonstrations
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ethiopia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook