EVENT: International commercial flight options currently exist in Ethiopia. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
We understand that Ethiopian Airlines flight options are becoming more limited due to reduced demand. Scheduled flights have been cancelled or delayed until the next scheduled flight to the particular destination with limited notice. If you wish to return to the U.S. but your Ethiopian Airlines flight is cancelled or delayed to another day, you should ask to be re-booked on the next available flight to the United States, even if this results in a change of destination airports. The Embassy is unable to assist you in booking or re-booking your flight. We do encourage you to explore all your options and all possible routes to get to the United States, even if that means not arriving at your preferred airport.
As previously indicated, for those who wish to return to the United States, the Embassy strongly urges you to explore your options to return now. The Department of State is currently not organizing an evacuation of American citizens from Ethiopia because these commercial flights are available. Please note that evacuation flights are not free-of-charge and are, in fact, frequently more expensive than currently available commercial travel.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ethiopia.
- Visit theCOVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Have a plan to depart from Ethiopia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates