The American Citizen Services unit of the U.S. Embassy remains closed for routine business. If you require emergency assistance, you MUST e-mail AddisACS@state.gov detailing the emergency, rather than visiting the Embassy without an appointment, in order to ensure that someone is available to help you. The renewal of a passport does not qualify as an emergency unless you have urgent travel plans to the United States. If you do have urgent travel plans, please be sure to include a copy of your itinerary in your email.
Please note that anyone who exhibits signs of illness when they arrive at the U.S. Embassy will not be granted access, even if they have an appointment. Additionally, in accordance with United States Department of State worldwide regulations in place due to COVID-19 and in line with efforts by the Government of Ethiopia to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Consular Section of U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa now requires that everyone over the age of 2 years old who enters the Consular Section wear a proper face covering (covering your nose and mouth). We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who is not wearing a face covering properly.
Please be considerate and help protect others. If you are unsure of how to properly wear a face covering, please see: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
Actions to Take:
- Find information about healthcare in Ethiopia on the country information page for Ethiopia (Health Care in Ethiopia).
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ethiopia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.